18 April 2014

Revision Cookies

I say revision cookies, you might say double chocolate pecan cookies. Either is fine, really. Seeing as my life is pretty dominated by study right now it seems an appropriate title!

I'll admit to sometimes getting a bit disappointed when a see a blog post about chocolate chip cookies. I mean, come on, another recipe for a plain ole' chocolate chip cookie? Sure, they probably taste great, but most people already have their favourite recipe, and if not, there are millions of recipes out there on the internet. There really is only so much you can say about them.
It's only when I finally go and bake some cookies myself that I remember, yet again, that a good cookie really is one of life's happy things. The best cookies I've ever made were probably these ones, but I fancied trying something a bit different today. I had a tub of coconut oil that I kept meaning to try and use in baking, but had never gotten around to it. Based on thorough research some quick google-ing, I tired substituting it for butter at a ratio of 1:1. It totally worked, producing an incredibly tender, melt-in-the mouth cookie. I also wanted to experiment with some different types of flour to make the cookies taste a bit more wholesome, so I used a mix of ground almonds, ground oats and wholemeal spelt flour. I liked the extra oomph they gave the cookies, making them a feel a bit more substantial. Overall, a successful experiment.
Being up to my eyeballs in revision is not fun, but it's strangely rather comforting to know we have a tin of cookies downstairs, just incase of emergencies …..

Double Chocolate Cookies
Makes about 20

125g coconut oil
225g soft light brown sugar
1 egg
50g dark chocolate chunks
50g pecans, roughly chopped
65g oat flour (ground oats)
75g ground almonds
45g wholemeal spelt flour
3/4 tsp bicarbonate soda
½ tsp baking powder
35g cocoa powder


Preheat the oven to 180°C.

Beat together the coconut oil and sugar until smooth and well combined. Beat in the egg, then stir in the pecans and chocolate chips.

Mix in all the remaining dry ingredients until completely combined.

Take small spoonfuls of the dough and roll them into smooth balls. Flatten them slightly, then place then on a greaseproof paper lined baking tray.

Bake for 10 minutes. Leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. These look amazing - I don't think I would get any revision done if these were in the house because I would never be able to resist them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!