27 May 2014

Chocolate and Buttermilk Ice Cream

As part of my birthday last year (which, incidentally didn’t get a mention on my blog, despite being a rather lovely birthday involving, among other delights, a salted caramel chocolate torte) my Dad took me out for a meal. The dessert I chose included a buttermilk sorbet, which I proceeded to rave about for the next few days to anyone within earshot. I remember it as being incredibly smooth and light, sweet but with a slight tanginess from the buttermilk. So when I was flicking through the Green and Blacks recipe book and came across this recipe for bitter chocolate buttermilk ice cream, I instantly remembered that buttermilk sorbet and decided to try it.
As decisions go, it was a very good one. This ice cream was the smoothest, silkiest ice cream I’ve ever made. I used chocolate containing 74% cocoa (I think that that’s correct – am I the only one slightly confused as to what the percentage actually measures?), which made the ice cream quite rich and slightly bitter, with the buttermilk adding that distinctive tang that I remembered from the buttermilk sorbet I tried. 

It was a fitting way to return to the world of baking and cooking after a few weeks of absence due to revision. Most of my exams are, at long last, over, so I finally have time to cook and blog again. Hopefully this is just the first of many delicious recipes I'll be able to try over the summer!

Bitter Chocolate and Buttermilk Ice Cream

3 egg yolks
150g caster sugar
250ml milk
250ml double cream
200g dark chocolate, finely chopped
180ml buttermilk

You will need to put the canister from the ice cream maker in the freezer at least 24 hours before you plan to churn the ice cream.

Combine the milk, cream and half of the sugar in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.

Whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar until pale, then pour over the hot cream mixture and whisk well. Return the mixture to the pan and cook over a very low heat, stirring continuously until it just starts to thicken. This can take quite a long time: just be patient, and keep stirring. Don't allow the custard to boil. 

Once the custard has thickened, remove from the heat and add the chocolate. Stir until smooth. Whisk in the buttermilk until well blended. 

Pour the mixture into a bowl or jug and allow to cool before refrigerating, preferable overnight. Churn the mixture in the ice cream maker according to manufactories instructions. Keep in the freezer until required - apparently this is best served within a few hours of churning. 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! I love the ice cream being frozen in a loaf tin, and it looks really chocolatey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum, this looks superb! We're on the same wavelength because I just made a chocolate buttermilk pie yesterday. Happy belated birthday, Kezia!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh, I've not tried buttermilk in ice cream - love the sound of it though. Smoother the better where ice cream's concerned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh yes, love the idea of tangy buttermilk in the ice-cream. Your photos are just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!